Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Summer 2013

Whoa! This summer's been a total whirlwind. It feels like I'm still at the beginning of June. So much has happened in these 3 short months! This week is the first week where I've done basically nothing and I've still been playing catch-up on my photos. Where do I begin?




This year, my sister and I did the summer internship with our church's student ministries team. It was awesome! I got to know a lot of people that I never would've gotten to if I hadn't done it. It challenged me and taught me to have a better attitude when I'm serving, because I'm serving HIM and that's all that matters. I love my intern family. I definitely want to do my second year next summer!


(Photo credit: Katy)



(Photo credit: Karlie)


Heirs recorded an E.P.! That was fun. I'm super excited for ya'll to hear the finished product! The E.P. will be available on September 20th. We also played a live show and (of course) led worship for C7 student services most of the summer. Needless to say, we practiced a lot... Kylene and Alyssa were a little tired. ;)




A couple of my friends and I got to volunteer for the Sidewalk Prophets concert. OMYGOODNESS it was so much fun! We made lemonade, hauled water bottles, did some other behind-the-scenes stuff... OH. AND got all access passes. We watched the show while we laid backstage. Yeah, that was cool.


(Photo credit: Kayla)


(Photo credit: Taylor)


Summer camp was amazing. Joel brought insanely relevant, encouraging and challenging messages, calling each student to step out of "boats," (comfort zones) as Peter in the Bible did, and completely devote ourselves to Christ.

One of my "boats" is not liking to take risks, so I got out of that by wake surfing. It was amazing. I felt an incredible amount of joy- even though I never did get up on the board- and couldn't stop laughing and smiling! 

Tent times were real and encouraging and helped me to realize that I'm not alone in my struggles and that redemption can be found in any situation. Also, the green team girls are unbelievably awesome.

Silverwood with some of my best friends was super fun and memorable. The night it poured and we all woke up soaked and watched movies all day while the tent leaders went out to dry our stuff was also memorable. 

Resonate Worship Band led us into refreshing, deep worship. I heard God's voice for the first time in months. God reminded me that I'm always "in His arms"- something I really needed.

This year, I was really blessed by the leaders. Joel, the band and the leaders got involved. They didn't just stand by and watched, they talked to us, played games with us, were on the boats with us and were willing to make fools of themselves. They shared their struggles and listened to ours. They genuinely cared. They encouraged us and pointed us back to His word. They not only talked the talk: they walked the walk.



Do not get me started on Creationfest. I don't have enough time to describe how incredible it was. 4 days of awesome music. It was super inspiring. All my favorite bands were there (Citizens, for KING and COUNTRY and Ghost Ship) and it was... wow. It was great. Rad. So-good-I'm-already-excited-for-next-year.


I've also taken a ton of photos. Go figure, right? Ha ha! You can see my recent sessions here.


Also, I've found a couple awesome bands. You should check 'em out.




God's been teaching me so much lately, but I really need to wrap up this post. I'll write some more on the lessons I'm learning when I have another chance to take a breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment