Sunday, August 25, 2013

Stretch Me.

Today, I was convicted of something: I haven't been using all my talents that God's given me to the best of my abilities. During the middle school C7 service tonight, we had a guest speaker. He was talking about using our God given gifts and not just "playing it safe" with them.

He asked if we were using all of our gifts to further the Kingdom. My original answer: "Yes! I use my musical talents in Heirs by playing synth and singing, I use my photography by doing photoshoots and a once a month photobooth at Kid's World FX, I encourage others as often as I can and I help with kids at co-op during the school year!"

... Then I realized those aren't my only gifts. I also write. I don't write often (except in my daily journal) but I enjoy doing it and it's a gift that God's given me. And I've been keeping it buried.

The reasons I don't write more?

I don't like taking risks. I don't like setting myself up for failure. I'm afraid of messing up. Of being judged. Of getting laughed at. Of being wrong. I like playing it safe to a certain extent. I like to hang out about 6 feet away from the edge. That way, I remain in my comfort zone while people think they see that I'm trying to move outside of it. (Which I'm not, actually.)

That being said, I'm done with the 6 inch mark.

Over the next 8 weeks (maybe longer) I'm going to challenge myself and move about 2 inches more toward the edge: I'm going to write on here three times a week. It doesn't matter what it's about, but it has to be something I've written. This is kind of a silly step, but it's one that will stretch me in a way that I need to be stretched.

Sorry for this thrown-together blog post. I just needed to write it so it's public knowledge and I have something to hold me accountable. :)

I'm done with the typical ordinary life I've been living- I'm ready to be taken to the edge.

This is blog post 1 of 24... I hope you enjoy this mini-journey with me!

"If You want to take over the edge, I'll let You because Your love is where I'll land."


No comments:

Post a Comment