Monday, July 6, 2015

The Power of Influence

Over the past 3 years, life has taken a million different twists and turns. It’s been crazy, heartbreaking at times, incredible, terrifying and beautiful. I went from being a super involved student leader that knew her place, her people and her God to having most of that tossed out the window. That may be slightly overdramatic, but that’s honestly how it felt. I can still feel the pain when I think about the Summer of 2012. I’ve already talked about that though & I don't have any desire to re-live those heart breaking moments. 

Honestly, after we left our old church, I got heavily depressed. I didn’t want to go anywhere else. I hated & wanted to hate everything and I succeeded. 

Sometime during that summer, my family stayed late after attending a new church and ended up talking to one of the youth leaders. Somehow, the topic of music came up and my parents started telling her how my sister and I played piano. (I use the word “play” very loosely. I knew like 4 chords… if that.) She invited us to check out a youth group band practice. 

I didn’t want to, but that didn’t stop her from asking.

She didn’t just ask us to come once.

Or even twice.

But she asked us multiple times. For multiple weeks

I didn’t want to go but my sister was all about it, so we went.

I hated it. It wasn’t anyone’s fault, I just had a terrible attitude about it. I made up EVERY excuse I could think of to not go.

My parents still made me go.

After about 4 weeks of consistently going to practices, I loved it. The people were incredible. 

The leaders were AMAZING. They truly cared and I could totally tell.

The students/musicians were SO accepting and loving and genuine in their faith and the way they acted. My sister and I ended up joining the band and playing keyboard/singing and getting as involved in the youth group as we could.

Throughout the past 3 years, I’ve done 3 internships, played A LOT of services, been to and lead at multiple events and camps and learned so many things in the process. I’ve gained another family, learned that my identity can ONLY come from Christ and become a better Christ-follower and leader.

So what changed my attitude? What changed my mind?

The persistence, consistency and authenticity of that one leader that wouldn’t take “no” for an answer. She didn’t know me. She didn’t have to care. But she did.

And because of that, I’m now in a place that I never imagined I would be. Because of that, I’m closer to Christ than I’ve ever been. Because she reached out to me, I’ve experienced Jesus in a way I never could have imagined. 

As I was writing the first draft of this, I was in the front of a school bus, leaning on a pillow, listening to a Hillsong record while hearing a bunch of middle schooler & high schoolers sing somewhat off-key VBS songs on our way to a mission trip where we put on a VBS at another church in 100 degree weather. Yesterday I got to worship, eat otterpops and laugh a ridiculous amount with a ton of students that are learning what it means to be a Christian in this confusing world. The week before that, I got to hang out with HUNDREDS of little kids and laugh & dance with them and love on them. This summer, I get to minister in so many ways that I never imagined I would.

And it’s all because that leader decided to not give up on a bitter, cynical 15 year old and made a difference that she probably never knew she would make. Actually, I’m not even sure she knows what a huge impact she made on me years ago.


So what’s my point? Be intentional. Be willing to go out of your way to reach out to someone. You never know how you could impact someone. You have more influence on people than you know. Use that influence to impact the Kingdom- you never know what might happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment