Saturday, January 3, 2015

2015: Take Me Deeper


// Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior. //


2015. Where has the time gone? 2014 was an incredible year full of laughter, tears, mountaintops and heartbreaks but I'm happy to see it's in the past now.

I'd like to be able to say I'm one of those "NEW YEAR, NEW ME!" people that literally tries to change everything that's wrong with my life overnight but I'm definitely not. I used to be. I used to make these elaborate plans about how I was going to do 250 crunches every single day, only eat vegetables ever, keep my room completely spotless all the time and never ever chew my nails ever again, but each year I ended up throwing those out the door by January 7th. I wanted perfection but perfection isn't an option. (Let me just say that I don't chew my nails nearly as much as I used to... so I guess I didn't completely fail at that one!!)

This year, I didn't make any huge plans. In fact, yesterday, when I was asked what I plan to do this year, I had a mini panic attack. I have no idea what I'm going to do this year, other than finish my photography courses and serve as often as I'm able. (Of course, I answered my friend very eloquently... Ha! Like I'm ever eloquent!)  I didn't even make a real "resolution". It's more of ongoing goal- a word- a theme, if you will.

That word is "deeper".

I, for one, am sick of shallow stuff. Shallow relationships, passions and pursuits leave us empty and tired. I don't know about you, but I don't like being empty and tired. I like to be vibrant. Joyful. Excited. Awake. Alive. (Did anyone catch that Skillet reference? No? Okay. Moving on.)

I've been a little too comfortable with the shallow stuff recently.

Exibit A.) Do I read my Bible? Sure, I spend 5 minutes reading a devotional on my phone app first thing in the morning. That counts, right?

Wrong. SO WRONG.

Sure, it's better than nothing but reading a devotional for 5 minutes, just to get it checked off my to do list, isn't what God wants me to do with His Word. He wants me to be in it constantly. He wants me to enjoy it and to comprehend it. He wants to spend time with me and speak to me through it. He wants us to have a constantly growing relationship and He wants to use His Word to deepen it. He wants me to pursue Him as He has pursued and continues to pursue me.

This year, along with a few of my close girl friends, I'm reading the Bible in a year. (Isn't it cool how God brings people with the same goals into our lives right when we need them most?!) It's going to be challenging but so rewarding. We're only on day three, but there have already been some "WOW" moments in our reading. It's been so encouraging to me so far. I woke up this morning and actually couldn't wait to read my Bible. I'm so excited to do this with them!

This is just one example of a way that I'm choosing to go deeper this year, but I don't want it to stop here. I want deeper relationships. I want deeper joy. I want a deeper life.

You can be happy when you're wading around in a kiddie pool, right? Yeah, sure. Till you outgrow it or decide that you want something more, something bigger, something more exciting.

I'm done with the small, flimsy thing that's filled with water. I want the big pool with the diving board and the slid. I want to be fully immersed in the cool, sweet water. Or, even better, the ocean. The vast expanse of glorious waves and salty sea water, teeming with life and freedom. I want to swim and dive and explore everything beneath the surface. I'm just so done with the little plastic pool that my mom bought for me at Walmart when I was five. (Sorry, mom. I really did love that thing when I was younger.)

So, I guess that's where I'm at right now.

Here's to twenty-fifteen: goodbye, kiddie pool; HELLO, OCEAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment